Detailed Thread Painting: Bringing Birds to Life
Learn to “see” the details in nature and apply them to your thread painting in this unique, full day class that explores shading and colour, as well as detail and stitching techniques. We will introduce some art theory and emphasize the role of shading, layers, and details while creating a thread painting of a Great Blue Heron, measuring 8” x 14”.
Suitable for a novice to intermediate skill level.
Lunch included (and dietary needs accommodated)
($12 material fee to be paid on the day of the workshop)
Tuesday, February 5 from 9:00am – 5:00pm
To register call (613) 464-2105
Please take note…
Participants are requested to bring the following supplies:
- 1/2 yd Tear Away Stabilizer
- 1/4 yd strip of fusible web like Wonder Under
- 1/4 of background. Can be batik, hand dye, or solid (though a subtle print fabric works best).
- 7”-8” hoop. Friction fit, low profile is ideal or spring hoop – (light weight wooden hoops with the screw are not ideal – they tend to break under the tension)
- Practice fabric, stabilizer and thread to set your tension before beginning.
- You can use embroidery weight or regular sewing 40 or 50wt thread in the top. I use black or grey in the bobbin and I use 50 weight, some prefer a bobbin weight for their machine, use what works best for you. I use Guttermann, but use what you have, I will also bring my stash to share for that must have colour you forgot to bring. The following are suggestions for a minimum, you may bring as much as you wish.
- 4-6 shades of Grey/blue 2- 3 shades of beige/gold 3 shades of green White Light Brown
Basic sewing supplies:
- Sewing machine in good working order capable of free motion or darning. (Check your manual for instructions.) machine manual, free motion foot, extension cord, marking pen, snipping scissors, extra bobbins,